SYNOPSIS

When a street smart "goth girl" is forced to attend cheerleader camp as part of her  rehabilitation from a juvenile correction facility, she clashes with the "popular girls," and finds herself embroiled in a bitter rivalry with the bitchy ringleader. But when members of the Spirit Squad start turning up dead, the girls must put aside their differences as they struggle to survive the murderous rage of a crazed psycho-killer lurking among them! 

Sunday, March 22, 2009

THE BEGINNING

Cheerleaders and chainsaws, what more could a person want? At least, that was my thinking in when I started writing Spirit Camp. It’s over a year later, and pre-production is well underway, and what started out as my little low budget film is growing and growing... and my wallet is getting lighter and lighter.

It seemed simple enough... a bunch of hot cheerleaders, running through the woods, chased by some psychopath... how hard can that be? Well, let me tell you... that means remote location... and remote location means hauling your cast, crew and equipment out to the boonies, and finding a way to house, feed, and power up your operation.

I broke the first rule of independent filmmaking... (write around props and locations that are easily available). Instead, I wrote a crazy little film in which I would have to custom fabricate all the props, costumes, and even some locations. I mean, you try to find a fake rubber prop axe on Ebay that looks real...

On top of that, finding a log cabin close to town is not an easy task. Surprisingly, 17 acres of woods and trails, with an authentic log cabin, fully powered is located in the heart of the city. Run by the Houston Audubon Society, it is an ideal location for filming... too bad they turned us down.

Not to worry, preliminary camera tests look stunning, and I'm sure we will find the perfect location.

No comments:

Post a Comment